Social media’s ascent has been impressive by any standard.
But the numbers reveal how impressive and widespread adoption and use has become. As more and more people turn to each other for everything, marketers cannot avoid the consequences of this shift in the way that content, interests and passions are shared from one person to another.
These statistics bring to life what was once considered an emerging trend that has now moved into the mainstream.
- 96% of Gen Y have joined a social network
- 1 out of 8 couples married in the US last year have met via social media
- Facebook added 100 million users in 9 months
- If Facebook were a country, it would be the world’s 4th largest in population
- 80% of companies are using LinkedIn as their primary tool to find employees
- 80% of Twitter usage is on mobile devices
- YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world
- There are over 200,000,000 Blogs
- 54% of bloggers post content or tweet daily
- Social media sites occupy 2 of the top 5 positions as the most visited on the internet
This great recent video amplifies these numbers and puts them in the current context of monumental change. Take a look and let us know what you think.